Colombo, July 26 (BAN/ AD): BOI has clarified that waste import has no link to the Sri Lanka – Singapore Free Trade Agreement (SLSFTA), which came into effect on 1st May 2018. It said the Commercial Hub Regulation does not allow to import and recycle, co-process or dispose any form of waste or garbage.
Full Statement issued by the BOI:
In view of several interpretations and media releases in respect of importation and processing of post-consumer wastes by the Hub Operators conducting their operations under the Commercial Hub Regulation No. 1 of 2013, the Board of Investment of Sri Lanka wishes to clarify the correct status.
The HFZL has engaged in separating the components of the used mattresses, sofas etc., and compressing them for re-export to different manufacturing industries, which tantamount to resources recycling activity. As such, the BOI has on 26th January 2018 directed HFZL to;
- suspend all future shipments of used material with immediate effect;
- re-ship all such cargo within one-month;
- ensure that the cargo is not getting wet and infiltrated with surface or surface run-off to the surrounding areas;
- obtain prior approval from BOI for any value addition process to be performed;
- suspend import of all post-consumer waste/material without prior approval of the CEA.