Colombo, Oct 25 (BAN/ AD): On Friday Minister of Tourism Development John Amaratunga along with officials and stakeholders of the Tourism industry visited the Jaffna International Airport to explore future tourism opportunities. The Jaffna International Airport was declared open on 17th of October 2019.
Air travel is main option for travel for island nation, Sri Lanka. The opening of the Jaffna International Airport opens up new opportunities for international/domestic air travel connectivity. Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (SLTDA) says this airport will create more job opportunities.
Sri Lanka Institute of Tourism and Hotel Management is looking to train more students in the hospitality sector in Jaffna. Flight Operations of the Jaffna International Airport are due to commence from November 2019.
The stakeholders who visited Jaffna airport were
- officials from Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (SLTDA)
- Sri Lanka Institute of Tourism and Hotel Management (SLITHM)
- Sri Lanka Convention Bureau (SLCB)
- Sri Lanka Association of Inbound Tour Operators (SLAITO)
- The Hotel Association of Sri Lanka (THASL)
- Colombo City Hotels Association (CCHA)
- National Association for Professionals in Tourism (NAPT)
- Association of Small and Medium Enterprises in Tourism (ASMET)
- Tourist Drivers Associations (NTDA)