Friday, 16th April 2021

Missing Mohona TV journalist Mushfiqur Rahman found in Sunamganj

Dhaka, Aug 7 (BAN/CD): A senior reporter of private television channel Mohona TV, Mushfiqur Rahman, who went missing on August 3, has been found in Sunamganj Sadar upazila.

A local imam found him from Sylhet-Sunamganj highway near Govindpur village early Tuesday.

Sadar police station Sub-Inspector (SI) Jinnatul Islam told Dhaka Tribune that Mushfiqur was seen running along the road and crying out for help.

The police and locals were then contacted by the imam after giving him shelter inside the mosque. Later, the police SI and Mohona TV’s Sunamganj correspondent Kulendu Shekhar Das took him to Sunamganj Sadar Hospital for treatment.

The duty doctors of the hospital assured that he was gradually recovering. His family has been notified of his rescue, meanwhile.

Mushfiqur said he was abducted by some miscreants when he boarded a Mirpur-bound bus from Gulshan on August 3. After embarking the bus, he figured out that its destination was not Mirpur.

He said some people sprayed a liquid substance on his face which made him unconscious. After coming to his senses, he was beaten severely by his abductors. At one point, they also threatened to shoot him.

Mushfiqur further said they did not let him drink anything for the past few days, only gave him some guavas and cake to eat.

Sub-inspector Jinnatul said that some miscreants had abducted him and left him in that area.

Earlier on August 4, Home Minister Assaduzzaman Khan Kamal directed Gulshan police to take immediate steps to rescue missing journalist.

Mushfiqur went missing on August 3, when he was returning to his Mirpur residence by a bus following a meeting with his uncle in Dhaka’s Gulshan area.

His family members said they could not establish any contact with Mushfiqur since that evening. After failing to trace his whereabouts, his uncle Ezabul Huq filed a general diary (GD- 1920) with Gulshan police station the same night.

Earlier on July 22, Mushfiqur filed another GD with Pallabi police station after receiving a life threatening phone call.


Top of page